Why use industrial scrubbers
Scrubbers are a final solution to control emissions and always part of a larger system. After optimizing extraction earlier in the manufacturing process, this end of pipe solution should come in place. Scrubbers help protect the environment by removing harmful chemicals, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s), Acids and Odors, next to harmful or polluted vapors and (fine) dusts.
Scrubbers can also be used for heat recovery by implementing heat exchangers resulting in energy reduction. Scrubbers are also solutions to realize Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reductions and realize emission limits. As the activities of industrial facilities pose a great threat to human and environmental health, scrubbers can help prevent harmful exhaust being released into the sky.
How does Industrial Scrubber Technology work
Air pollution control equipment purify and clean chemicals, dust, vapors or gasses coming out from a process exhaust air stream at the end of a manufacturing process. The achieved result is a clean and efficient process which is most commonly realized with ‘wet scrubbers’ by using water.
Examples of chemicals filtered
- Sulfur Oxides
- Hydrochloric Acid
- Nitrogen Oxides
- Hydrogen Oxides
The scrubbing principle relies on effective atomizing and contacting of the scrubbing reagent with the exhaust stream to attach particles, dissolve or adsorb aerosols and vapors in the reagents or to initiate a chemical reaction. The contaminated reagent is separated from the exhaust stream in the (integrated) mist eliminator from where the reagent is filtered and reused in the process, minimizing water and chemicals consumption.
How do scrubbers reduce air pollution and reduce energy consumption?
As the generation of electricity and steam are important cost factors in production processes and key factors in reducing a factory’s carbon dioxide footprint.
In many vapor extraction applications, such as dryers, the surplus energy in the exhaust stream requires treatment prior to entering the filter- or scrubbing unit (e.g. a quench chamber). Using the phase transition (condensation) of the humid air provides an especially great opportunity for the direct generation of steam and hot water using energy recovery skids and scrubbers. In many cases the energy in exhaust-air can be effectively recovered while realizing a healthy industrial work environment and compliant emission levels.
To recover energy from waste air streams, we are able to connect producers to potential energy consumers within or outside of your site.
How to select the right Scrubber Solution
Scrubbers are primary devices that control gaseous emissions and are used to separate particles from air flows by washing. It is an efficient and effective technology using sprayed liquid separating unwanted particles by washing gaseous flows.
- Investigate requirement and data collection
- Energy Recovery Potential Scan: Look at how energy is created and what suppliers and consumers are available.
- Report back findings, including multiple solutions
- Modeling: Reliable designs can only be made after modeling a site’s specific situation.
- Engineering: Scrubbers designed adjusted to suit product specific processes capturing particles with minimal downtime and maintenance.
- Build, integrate and implement systems
- Service, Maintenance & Spare parts
Steps above are often the result of primary upgrades earlier in the production process. JOA provides tailor-made solutions. We truly understand ‘air’ and dive deeply into your specific production process before making recommendations.
JOA provides economic solutions for managing energy recovery by combining advanced scrubbing technology with sustainable energy recovery. Recently executed project studies (in food-, pharmaceutical and roofing materials) have shown effective and economically advanced fume and vapor extraction can be achieved by integrating both the process extraction systems and the production area ventilation design.
Wet Scrubbers offered by JOA Air Solutions
- Packed Bed Column Scrubber, for high efficiency removal of gaseous pollutants, cooling and vapor condensation
- Energy Recovery Dust Scrubber, able to wash Dust and VOC’s from hot and humid waste streams. Prevents fouling in the piping network.
- In-line Venturi Scrubber, used for medium and high fume concentrations realizing up to 99,9% efficiency
- Regular Venturi Scrubbers
- Cross Flow Scrubber with low compact footprint
- Packed Tower Scrubber
- Chemical/VOC and Odor Scrubbers
All JOA Scrubbers can be adjusted to size, footprint and types of dust or fumes.
JOA offers the following systems and services related to Scrubbers
- Heat Recovery Units
- Heat pumps
- Heat exchangers
- Droplet Separators
- Retrofits into existing collection systems
- SKID’s for easy implementation
Why choose a Wet Scrubber System
- Smaller space / footprint requirements
- Can be retrofitted into current existing equipment
- Able to handle high temperature and moist streams
- Able to neutralize corrosive vapors and remove gases and (dust) particles in a single unit
- Handles highly flammable dusts with very low explosion risks
Benefits of choosing JOA’s Scrubber Technology
- Extremely high removal efficiency up to 99,9%
- Compact Footprint by right sizing based on measurements & modeling, fitted to your site
- Tailor-made designs, realizing up to 25% less Pa needed. Additionally, our design require less pressure, solvents and water.
- Minimizing the build-up of condensing fumes in the extraction piping network by modeling and controlling the absolute humidity levels throughout the network.
- Implementing scrubbers as part of a larger solution and easy implementation with SKID’s
- Emission Control of Volatile Organic Compounds & Odor Abatement
- Able to recover energy from Low/Medium grade waste heat, leading to Hot Water, Steam or Air Generation
- Ready to implement Internet of Things (IoT) applications
- Cost effective and able to recover energy with a low ROI time, clearly defined in advance
- The energy in exhaust-air can be effectively recovered while realizing both a healthy work environment and compliant emission levels.
- Predictable and guaranteed performance
- Maintenance friendly
- Multiple stages of scrubbing can be applied to increase particulate removal efficiency
- Applicable in multiple industries like Plastics, Chemicals, FMCG, Tobacco and more